The Fedora Project is pleased to announce the release of Fedora Core 6 (Zod). Install-time access to third-party package repositories, extensive performance improvements, support for Intel-based Macs, and a new GUI virtualization manager are some of the primary features. Additionally, Fedora Core 6 provides various improvements on the desktop, including a new default font and theme, the latest releases of GNOME and KDE, and additional options in window managers.
There are a variety of additions to Fedora Core 6 that interesting to desktop users, including:
- A new theme is introduced, courtesy of the Fedora Artwork Project.
- The system’s default font is now DejaVu, which increases Fedora’s support for many languages that use the Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets.
- The Compiz window manager provides better visual feedback and a variety of desktop effects, using the AIGLX framework. More information is available from the Fedora Rendering Project.
- Enhancements in package management by way of “pirut” and yum-updatesd, which combine to provide a notification applet, alerting the user when there is updated software available.
- A rewritten system-config-printer tool, which has several new features. Devices are detected on-demand as necessary, and support for per-user queues is available, so users can customize their printer settings without having to modify system-wide configurations. Additional technical details are available here and here.
- GNOME 2.16 and KDE 3.5.4, as well as the latest upstream versions of many standard open source applications, such as Firefox and OpenOffice.org.
- Fedora Core 6 includes Dogtail, which provides a graphical test and automation framework.
- Totem has replaced Helix Player as the default media player in Fedora Core 6.
Latest posts by invaleed (see all)
- Install WordPress di Docker - June 6, 2018
- Install ZFS di openSUSE - September 1, 2016
- VM Solaris 10 “intermittent” jika menggunakan ethernet e1000 - August 29, 2016
- Belajar Ansible - February 18, 2016
- Jual borongan perangkat keras dan Lunak, Server, Storage Network, VMWare dll - February 11, 2016